Re: Physics for Electricians

You might want to start with a pre-quiz to see what they REALLY understand
about circuits. They may know WHAT to do but not WHY they do it. If so,
you might want to go over circuit basics with an emphasis on conceptual
understanding.

You probably want to cover electrical safety and the physiological effects
of current--again so that they can understand the rules they've been working
with.

You probably need to find out exactly WHY these people are taking a physics
course. I suspect it is for practical reasons. If that is the case, then
shy away from theoretical topics which will have no practical applications
for the group. Again, concentrate on conceptual understanding of the basics
that they will use everyday. With such an understanding, they may find they
will be able to solve problems and challenges beyond the normal tech level
electrician's training.

My $.02

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
219-284-4664
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE
NEW: Photo Realistic Laboratory Simulations