Re: Energy Transmission on a string.

At 12:53 PM 12/4/01 -0600, RAUBER, JOEL wrote:

When you write the total energy of the SHO as 1/2 *dm *omega^2 *A^2
doesn't that include the potential energy part of the total mechanical
energy as well as the kinetic energy piece?

Yes, it does. My previous thinking (or semi-thinking :-) was off
by a factor of two. It's hard to say for sure what happened;
possibly I mistook peak KE for average KE or some such.

E equals KE + PE, but
peak(E) is not peak(KE) + peak(PE).
1 = cos^2 + sin^2

Also note that this method (A) has nothing to do with wave mechanics.
It could equally well describe the transport of energetic harmonic
oscillators in a truck.

This is the part that worries me about derivation A. Well said!.

OTOH I don't think there is anything really to worry about here.
Similar logic is applied all the time to energy, momentum, mass,
entropy, lepton number, etc. being carried (convected) by a fluid.
It's not always the whole story, but you can pretty easily decide
whether it is or not.

In particular, imagine an isolated wave packet propagating
in a non-dispersive medium. We are !!not!! assuming sine waves
here. It's pretty clear that the energy moves along with the
wave packet, just like the aforementioned harmonic oscillators
in a truck. Method A is not bogus; in some sense it is
actually more general than the argument based on the detailed
wave-mechanical analysis.

Would it be fair to interpret what you are saying here as implying that it
is probably mis-placed mathematical rigour on the part of introductory
authors, who use method B, to arrive at the standard result

1/2 *mu * v *omega^2 * A^2

Absolutely that is not a rigorous result. In the real world
there are all sorts of nonlinearities, and even in a linear
system there is usually dispersion that calls into question
the very notion of a definite speed of propagation.