Re: Banked road

"Daniel L. MacIsaac" wrote:

Acceleration along an inclined plane does not change N but
the circular motion does. In both cases N is a reaction
force. In the first case it the reaction to the perpendicular
component of mg, in the second case N also has a component
which is the reaction to the CENTRIFUGAL force. Is this an
acceptable interpretation?

Now you're going to make me into that which I fear most -- the language
police. I'd not consider CENTRIFUGAL a worthwhile term to use except
as an example of less complete reasoning to move away from. Trying
to use CENTRIFUGAL forces in FBDs can lead you astray immediately unless
you develop sophisticated rules for frames of reference, in which case
you are violating N1. These rules are also more complex (the phrase
cognitive overhead comes to mind here) than simply doing the analysis
in a dynamic (accelerating) frame of reference.

Other than the word CENTRIFUGAL, the rest looks good for instructional
language to me.

I think it is not only a matter of language; suggest another
name and I will probably have no objection (unless the word
is already used to describe something else).

Let us refer to a cylindrical pipe whose inner surface is used
as a road for a car of mass m traveling along a circle r with a
constant speed, v. Suppose the cylinder is located far away from
all stars and that its mass is M. I am at rest in a frame of
reference which Newton would call "the frame of fixed stars."

To simplify assume tham M>>m so that the pipe is at rest in
my frame of reference. I see only one force acting of the
car; it is the CENTRIPETAL force toward the center Fc=m*v^2/r.
It is the normal force, N, with which the pipe acts on the car.

The car acts on the pipe and the pipe reacts with an equal and
opposite force. If the reaction is real (not fictitious) then
the action is also real in my frame of reference. We need a
name for the force with which the car acts on the cylinder.
What is wrong with CENTRIFUGAL?
Ludwik Kowalski