Re: Value of Homework

Like David, I feel that problem solving homework is a very important aspect
of an Algebra or Calculus based course. The problems I assign go beyond the
back of chapter types to include some of the 'real-world' Heller type
problems and also some lab based practical problems,
and a special 'Olympic Games on the Moon' assignment that I have used for
many years now. This homework counts as 25% of the grade, plus the tests
and problem-solving part of their final will account for another 30% of the
grade. Conceptual quizzes, the conceptual part of the final, and the lab
make up the rest.

I correct all the homework but we typically have classes under 20 students.
I let them work in pairs and collect only one problem set from the two
students. [The students are free to choose whether to work together on the
problems or work them independently and then compare results. I do mention
that the latter will better prepare them for the tests.] So I effectively
do the same thing as David--having only 1/2 the number of papers to grade.
I feel it is important that I see what kinds of problems the students are
having so that I can address these within the class structure.

In our calculus sequence we have _regained_ recitation sessions (at the
expense of losing an entire semester from the sequence--now 2 instead of 3),
but I have in the past used class time to work through problems. In fact,
in our Algebra sequence (2 semesters--no recitations), the format is
essentially to spend half of each class period on problem solving and 1/2 on
concepts. We also tend to run optional problem sessions and strongly
encourage (and get) students to come in during office hours to get help with
their problem solving.

A side note: One of the trade-offs that I have made in the interest of
effective use of class time is to minimize the number of tests--usually just
2 per semester and to eliminate the lost pre-test and post-test days. What
I now do is to post the solved test problems (also do this with homework) on
our CourseInfo web system by scanning my solutions and producing Word
documents with the scanned images. I've also extended the test taking time
by either using take-home tests or by setting aside a day during which
students can come in and take the test with a two hour time limit. I do
have to give them a class period off in compensation and I get away with the
2-hours by stating that the test is designed to be done in 1 hour but I am
offering them 2 hours so as not to produce undo time pressure.

Rick Tarara

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE PHYSICS INSTRUCTIONAL SOFTWARE
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/
PC and MAC software
NEW! SIMLAB2001--AIRTRACKS & BALLISTIC LAUNCHER
CD-ROMs now available