Re: Impulse

Stefan Jeglinski wrote:
It is interesting, but pretty vague as stated. What are they trying
to say exactly? In a "zeroth" approximation, other things equal, a
car hitting a rigid barrier at 40 mph is equivalent to 2 cars, each
travelling 40 mph, colliding head on. Equivalent here meaning damage
to each car due to dissipation of its KE. It is true that the cars
are "closing" at 80 mph, but "80" doesn't enter into any calculation
of KE, to my knowledge.

That was my reading of it. It was specifically talking about the
*forces* at impact. I think they were looking for a way to say to the
(general public) reader "If you're driving 40 mph, and you have a
head-on collision with another car travelling 40 mph, then in your frame
of reference it looks like that car is coming toward you at 80 mph; but
the collision really only produces roughly as much force as hitting a
big tree at 40 mph." You and I can confirm that by doing the math, but
it probably seems a bit non-intuitive to Joe Averagereader.

To me, the "interesting" part was the claimed *rarity* of high-speed
impacts with stationary objects. I was under the impression there were
more than a few of those type of accidents. I was probably wrong; that
happens a lot.

Best wishes,

Larry

Larry Cartwright <exit60@cablespeed.com>