Re: ENERGY WITH Q

Thermal energy is associated with several kinds of random
motion at the molecular level. Why is this not sufficient
in the first physics course? I think that the monoatomic
gas topic provides a sufficient illustration of what is
behind thermal energy.
Ludwik Kowalski

Ludwik,

In general I'd agree. Though some consideration might be given as to
whether or not you would want to additionally use diatomic ideal gases
(modeled as tiny hard spheres connected by little springs).

Pro:

Illustrates the idea with a 2nd example, and one where we see that thermal
energy isn't just kinetic in nature, but can include potential energies (An
important idea IMO). I'd use the "degrees of freedom" words here, but you
specified an intro class.

Con: Is this an algebra or Calculus based course? Does it matter? Perhaps
it is just one more complication that isn't really necessary for this
course.