Re: value of g in black holes

John M wrote:

The universe might have something like 10^22 to 10^24 (give or
take a few factors of ten) star's worth of mass. If 10^24 solar
masses were to coalesce into a black hole (or simply already and
for all time have been a black hole), R would be billions of light
years (i.e., something like the size of the universe) and g would
be 15 pm/s^2 (i.e., completely negliglbe) at the "event horizon."
Interesting?

Yes indeed. You jogged my memory that David Goodstein also mentions
the idea of thinking about the universe as a black hole (since by
definition nothing can get out) at the conclusion of one episode of
the Mechanical Universe.

Okay, now I should have asked Dwight what exactly he wanted to know g
for anyways. Have we answered the intent of the original question?

Also, I am remined of John D's earlier interesting remarks about the
tidal stresses that black holes produce, to wit whether a brick would
fall intact into a (stellar) black hole. The answer was yes:
http://physics.usna.edu/physics/faculty/mungan/Scholarship/BlackHole.pdf
--
Carl E. Mungan, Asst. Prof. of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
U.S. Naval Academy, Stop 9C, Annapolis, MD 21402-5026