Re: The concept of potential energy.

Dario Moreno wrote:

What is U, then? I was thaught that

"The so called potential energy, is a scalar function U(x,y,z)
that has the following property: grad U = - force."

You did not learn this in Week #6 of your very first physics
course. Neither did Bob Sciamanda learn about L and H in
that course. I am trying to find a desirable sequence of topics
for a first course, I am not saying that more sophisticated
approaches are wrong in advanced courses.
Ludwik Kowalski

In calculus based courses, its not that uncommon to see U(x,y,z) and
Force=-grad U,

While not uncommon, I'd readily admit that nationwide it is probably a
distinct minority of instances of the calculus based course that do this.