Re: Reliability and Validity of FCI

Hello Michael,

original papers by Halloun & Hestenes (1985) and Hestenes et. al. (1992) describe how the FCI (and its precursor the MDT) was developed. These papers also address the issue of reliability and validity. Hake's papers (1998 and 2001) provide additional support for the reliability of the FCI.

I know that the ASU group <http://modeling.la.asu.edu/modeling.html> has done extensive research on reliability of the FCI after the original papers but I don't know if they have published their results. A revised version of the FCI is available from their homepage (Halloun et. al. 1995; you need to have a password).

The reference list contains some other related articles which may be helpful. In my opinion the FCI seems to be very reliable and valid. However, Steinberg and Sabella (1997) provide an interesting discussion on the limitations of the FCI.

Regards,

Antti Savinainen
Physics teacher
Kuopio Lyseo High School