Re: Old Computers

Some people use computers only for word processing. An old
computer loaded with appropriate software can be given to such
people. My wife is using an old Mac II in that way.
Ludwik Kowalski

Tim Folkerts wrote:

Once again, I came across a bunch of old computers - Mac SE & LE in this
case, plus external 5 1/4 drives, power supplies, etc. Can anyone think of
a good reason to rescue them. It just seems a shame to throw out something
that used to be valuable.

What about...
* stripping magnets from the disc drives?
* digging out power supplies (+/- 5V, +/- 12V) for electronics labs?
* saving stepper motors for other experiments?
* using the printer port for digital signals? (assumes you could easily
program it to turn on any pin as desired)
* salvaging CRT for e/m experiments?

I checked Ebay, and they are luck to get $20 for such computers. If you
have any good uses, let me know. If I get enough ideas, maybe I'll compile
them for a TPT article. Otherwise, I'll just pretend I never the sad old
computers waiting for the garbage man. Reminds me of the old story of
"Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel."

Tim