Re: Old Computers

A confession and an interesting story...

When we "demoted" a bunch of 486 computers, we couldn't bear to throw them
out, so we kept about 30 of them. A year later we hadn't touched them, but
we demoted 25 or so Pentium-75's. We threw out the 486 and kept the P-75's.
A year later we demoted 25 or 30 Pentium-133's. We threw the P-75's out of
storage and stored the P-133's. This happened again. Today we have P-233's
in storage and are beginning to demote P-333's. We will probably clean out
the storage room of P-233's and put the old P-333's there. We haven't
learned our lesson yet.

I am a pack rat. I did strip a bunch of computers of fans, stepper motors,
and anything else I thought might be useful some day. I don't do as much of
this anymore because my collection of potentially useful junk is overflowing
my storage area. But I still collect the most interesting junk. So far, I
don't think I've ever really used much (except for the story below). I need
a "twelve-step program" for pack rats.

Confession...

Hi. My name is Mike. I have a problem. I cannot force myself to throw
away junk that looks interesting.

Story...

In one of the art classes on our campus, the professor has students create
an art piece from "junk." I have heard students complain they can't find
"interesting junk." I always kept my mouth shut until an art student
specifically asked me if I had any scientific or electronic junk he might be
able to use for his art project. I showed him my cache and he went berserk.
It was the "coolest junk" he had ever seen in his life (and also the most).
Word quickly spread. Now the on-campus rumor is "If you need an interesting
piece for your art project and can't find it, or don't even know what it is
you want, go see Professor Edmiston because he will have just what you
need."

Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817