Re: On Light: Surviving College

Michael Edmiston writes:

Unfortunately they don't believe us and they don't do it. When I tell the
calc-based physics students they will spend 3-5 hours per week doing
problems, and another 3-5 hours per week on lab analysis and report
writing,
for a total of 6-10 hours of work beyond class time... they pretty much
roll
their eyes and I can hear them thinking "Oh sure, get real."

Michael is certainly on target here. But isn't it
interesting that, despite this lack of study time, grades
continue to rise?? Why should students study for a class
when they can usually coast through and get a 'B'? If
the consequence of not studying were failure, that
might change students' attitudes.

Wes Davis