Re: climate control

At 14:48 6/11/01 -0400, you wrote:
Can I tap the collective wisdom of the list?

We're building a radio telescope, and the front-end electronics at the dish
need to be in a stable environment. We're looking for a weather-tight box
about the size of a picnic cooler which has temperature controls (both
heating and cooling) to hold the electronics within a 10 degree range. Any
pointers? Our physical facilities folks have had no luck.

Would it work to use something like the 12 vdc coolers that use Peltier
devices for heating or cooling depending on the direction of current flow
through the junctions. Perhaps the external temperature could be sensed
and the device then set to heat or cool the interior as needed.

"To succeed in the world it is not enough to
be stupid. You must also be well mannered."
- Voltaire
George Spagna
Department of Physics
Randolph-Macon College
P.O. Box 5005
Ashland, VA 23005-5505
phone: (804) 752-7344
FAX (804) 752-4724
e-mail: gspagna@rmc.edu
http://www.rmc.edu/~gspagna/

Ivan Rouse, Professor and Chair
Physics Department, La Sierra University
4700 Pierce St., Riverside, CA 92515
email: irouse@lasierra.edu
web: http://physics.lasierra.edu/irouse/
phone: 909-785-2137, FAX 909-785-2215