Re: Fuel Cells

On Sat, 2 Jun 2001, Jim Green wrote:

Can someone please tutor me re "fuel cells" --

How do they work?

Tell me in what way the process is "renewable" -- Doesn't the energy of
the so called fuel have to be increased in some way -- ie doesn't the likes
of H2 and O2 have to be made so that later they can react? IE the net
supply of electrical power is <0.

The current big thing in fuel cells is alcohol-powered laptop cells. What
if you could run your laptop (or cellphone) on a bottle of methanol and
never had to recharge the batteries? I haven't heard that anyone is
selling these yet, but here are a couple of companies working hard on such
things, and I occasionally see their stuff in Wired and in newspapers.

billb@eskimo.com http://www.amasci.com
Seattle, WA 206-789-0775 freenrg-L taoshum-L vortex-L webhead-L