Re: Fuel Cells

A little reality check here. While hydrogen and methane are ways to store
and redistribute direct solar, wind, and biomass energy it is also less
efficient to do this than to use these energy resources directly. This
means that it will take more wind generators, more solar farms, more acres
of crops to produce energy using fuel cells than to use the
electricity/chemical energy directly from these sources. There still are
many reasons to do this--converting wind and solar to 'energy on demand' is
certainly one as well as the fact that we will still need 'portable' fuels.
Hydrogen produced from these sources might also be piped (new pipeline
infrastructures required) and used much as natural gas is today and even
used to power electrical generation plants in densely populated areas such
as the Northeast. HOWEVER, before getting too excited about these
possibilities one needs to 'do the numbers' to see just how daunting the
task of converting from oil/natural gas over to these renewables actually
is. Remembering that we would be shifting the TOTAL energy use renewables,
and not just the electrical use, you end up with millions of large wind
generators, thousands of square miles of photovoltaics, hundreds of
thousands of square miles of farmland dedicated to energy crops, and tens of
trillions of dollars in costs. It is the magnitude of our current energy
demand (and the fact that 90% of it is currently met with the fossil fuels)
that is confounding.

Fuel cells offer a 'better' alternative to traditional batteries but they DO
need a fuel supply and that fuel must be processed using energy or crops.
The infrastructure will be expensive and massive to provide for large scale
fuel cell use.

Rick