From: "William J. Larson" <bill_larson@CSI.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2001 2:09 PM
Subject: Re: Worrying about the long term (was Global Warming (NUCLEAR))

Rick,

2) I set a goal of a 25% reduction in energy use for the Efficiency and
Conservation groups (combined). Year after year these groups FAIL to
achieve this goal once they work the numbers.

I have the impression that Western Europe (with a population and standard
of
living approximately equal to the US) is using a lot less of the world's
petroleum than the US. Here in Europe we have huge gasoline taxes. I
assumed
this (presumed) lower level of usage is due to our greater efficiencies.
In
which ways am I wrong?

For what it's worth [< < 0.002¢], the zero health effects of Three Mile
Island made me very PRO nuclear. The (to my mind) surprisingly low health
effects of Chernobyl made me very, very PRO nuclear. [Based on the then
common thinking I initially expected at least tens of thousands to die
within days.]

Cheers,
Bill Larson
Geneva, Switzerland