Re: Worrying about the long term (was Global Warming (NUCLEAR))

In a message dated 3/31/01 3:17:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
rbtarara@SPRYNET.COM writes:

<< All this means that you must concentrate on how to use conservation and
efficiency WITHIN the framework of the local culture/economy. If you do
that, then a 25% reduction in energy use is very hard to achieve.

Rick

Rick I don't dispute the points you make. However there is one form of energy
use in this country where there is a lot of room for savings. America's love
affair with gas guzzling vehicles has reached a new high (or is that low)
with the increasing use of giant SUV's which make the Gas guzzlers of the
1970s seem like econo cars. For a time, after the great oil shortage of circa
1975 , we made great strides in this country producing sensible fuel
efficient vehicles. However in the past few years this has been offset by the
purchase of 5000 plus pound V8 powered behemoths by more and more people.
These giant monsters are being used to commute to work, often with just one
person on board. Since it is unlikely that Americans can be persuaded to use
more sensible means of commuting by appealing to concern for our planet, then
I believe, it would be a great benefit to either enforce more stringent fleet
mileage averages, or through taxes, increase the price of Gasoline at the
pump to discourage the use of these monsters for commuting.

Bob Zannelli
New York