Re: interesting pic for a classroom exercise?

I took the angular diameter of the sun to be 0.50 degrees, which is pretty c
lose as an average value. That makes the tip-to-tail angular length of the plan
e about 5.18 min., or 0.0863 degrees. The angle in degrees plugs into the small
-angle formlua to give the distance.
The other neat things in this picture are the prominences around the edges a
nd some flares in the face. One prominence near the left edge I calculate to be
about 23, 000 miles high. Lots of good things to use this picture for. Thanks
for passing it along, Stefan.
Rondo Jeffery

jeglin@4PI.COM 01/26/01 02:16PM >>>
The length of the MD-11 is 200'11" or 202'2", depending on which
engine it has. That probably isn't as important as whether it is
viewed at a slight angle rather that perfectly edge on in the photo.
Taking the length as 200 feet, and assuming the view is close enough
to edge on, the distance I caluclate is 25 miles.

Stefan:

Please consider sending your wonderful picture (it's great:
http://perso.club-internet.fr/legault/s010113.jpg
and the a summary of this PHYS-L discussion
as a contributed note to The Physics Teacher. Contributor's info is
found under publications at http://www.aapt.org/ and if it helps I
I have three publications stemming from PHYS-L discussions that were/are
accepted for publication (thanks for helping my career, ladies & gentlemen).

I'll be using your picture in my PHY111 class when we hit angular measure.
Thanks again, and I strongly urge you to publish both the photo and your
analysis; I KNOW TPT would be interested...

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://purcell.phy.nau.edu PHYS-L list owner