Re: weightless in orbit

Hi,

I wrote:
I disagree with Leigh that the gravitational field would be zero (or very
nearly zero) in the orbiting space shuttle. The very reason for the
orbiting is the gravitational force exerted by the Earth and hence the
gravitational field cannot be zero. Of course astronauts inside the
shuttle feel apparent weightlessness because the satellite is in a free fall.

John Denker wrote:
This position is inconsistent with modern physics.

We are accustomed to measuring quantities that are very sensitive to what
frame of reference is used; this includes velocity, kinetic energy, and
many other frame-dependent quantities. So it is with something that Antti
would call "apparent gravity" and modern physics calls "gravity": inside
the orbiting shuttle this quantity is essentially zero. An observer on a
tall (!) tower, in the earth's reference frame, would measure a value of
9.8m/s^2 for this same quantity at the same location as the shuttle flies
past.

Leigh's statement is 100% correct in the specified orbiting frame of
reference. Antti's counterargument that "the gravitational field cannot be
zero" is not true in the orbiting frame of reference, although it would be
true in a nearby tower-based frame of reference.

Thanks for this essential correction. I was thinking of the situation from "a
nearby tower-based frame of reference" without explicitly stating it. Now I see
the point that Leigh made.

I am teaching high school physics (International Baccalaureate). So the level
is not terribly advanced. It is not an easy task for high school students to
understand that a change in direction (e.g. orbiting) implies acceleration and
a net force. That may be the reason why I (and the syllabus) address mainly
inertial reference frames. Of course it is not an excuse for careless
interpretation of Leigh's argument!

Best regards,

Antti Savinainen
Finland