From: Bernard G. Cleyet & Nancy Ann Seese <georgeann@REDSHIFT.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: 2001 January 18 1:53 AM
Subject: Re: AC electricity

< Hewitt explains this very well by pointing out the underlying
< misconception, i.e. that the purpose of the current is to "deliver
< electrons". No such thing happens. Even in a DC circuit
< the electrons hardly move (I'm talking about net motion, not
< the very fast random thermal motion). Their speed is
< about 30 cm / hour. There is an electric field in the wire.
< It supplies the energy. "Power utilities do not sell electrons.
< They sell energy. You provide the electrons."

Question? and how fast do the e's move in a vacuum, a super conductor?

bc

P.s. I suspect a contradiction in the second quote, or am I misreading it.
Hewitt explains .. then ... No such thing ...

I'm ready to stand corrected.