Re: Toward the equilibrium

At 17:28 1/3/01 -0500, Ludwik wrote:
Suppose that at t=0 a charge of 1 microC is deposited at one
point of a copper sphere whose diameter is one meter.
/snip/
1) Do charges travel to final destinations through the entire
volume or do they travel mostly near the surface?

At 09:26 1/4/01 -0600, Tim Folkerts responded:

Neither! The +1 uC doesn't travel through the conductor at all!

I am largely in agreement with this: steep electric wavefronts are
confined to a relatively thin surface skin of a conductor.

You need to start before t=0. As the +1 uC is brought close to the
conductor, the electrons in the copper are already rearranging themselves.
The point on the conductor nearest the external charge will have a -1 uC
charge, while the rest will have a +1 uC surface charge.

Aw shucks - starting out on a good note by observing an induced surface
charge, Tim supposes that the induced charge equals the charge being
transported.
This is easily shown to be untrue - the electric field mediates charge
induction - and you are well aware that field is highly dependent on
geometry: consider a charged point compared with a charged sphere carrying
1 microcoulomb - their effects will be different, I submit.

No significant travel of electrons will be needed to establish equilibrium.

If Tim concurs on the magnitude of the potential on the 1 meter sphere in
the steady state - about 13 kV for the room size I had in mind -
he will presumably agree that there is a surface displacement of electrons
to comply with this field.
Is this 'insignificant' or 'significant'? the distances certainly are
minute.... But I am quite certain he cannot be confusing bulk transport
of electrons with a travelling electric field.

Other than a little "ringing", it seems that equilibrium is established AT
t=0.

Perhaps it would be harder to hold out this position, if one morphed
the charged sphere to a circle of coaxial cable - and visualized Ludwik
adding charge to a stub conductor (a 'tee') connected to the center
coax conductor.
I expect there is nobody who would hold out that the center conductor
would instantaneously equilibrate within 1E-19 seconds?
It is so easy to demonstrate the progress of a travelling wave in coax.

Come to think of it, perhaps the "ridiculous" answer that someone
quoted and I already deleted :-( of something like 10^-18 s actually is
correct.

Tim Folkerts
FHSU

Bob again reminded us of this position - and how it is "echoed in E&M texts."
He did mention he visualized the charge is added from inside the sphere
like in a Van de Graaff. I think he has a different situation in mind.

A sphere charged at one point is essentially a fat short antenna - expect
a travelling wave - and expect some radiation thereby - Hertz did! <grin>

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> Altus OK
Eureka!