Job pool

I would be interested in hearing from faculty who have recently
conducted tenure-track faculty searches. I am interested in knowing the
size of your pool of candidates and quality of the applicants. Some of
my colleagues in other natural science disciplines tell me that even
for tenure-track positions, the market for good faculty has dried up.
Our last search for a tenure-track position in 1997 netted a healthy
pool of several hundred, however a recent search for a non-tenure track
position produced essentially no qualified candidates. I want to know
what is the primary factor for this substantial drop in the size of the
pool.

Scot A.C. Gould
Associate Professor of Physics
W.M. Keck Science Center