Re: Laws, theories, principles, rules, equations, ...

I don't have any authoritative source for this, but I
was taught that the difference between a law and a
theory is the nature of the explanation. Laws state
what happens, whereas theories try to explain why.
Newton law of gravitation states that the attractive
force between two bodies is proportional to the
product of their masses over the distance between them
squared. Einstein's general theory of relativity
explains gravitation as the effect of the topology of
space time. I'm not sure how well this distinction
holds up when applied to other cases.

Zach Wolff