TIMSS (etc)

Rick, Joel, and others state the problem very
well. Often physics presents students with their first
task where they actually have to think and struggle.
The Modeling approach explicitly endeavours to
"develop independent learners". There are anecdotes
where HS students in a Modeling environment have told
the teacher (or counselor), "So-and-so's class was the
first time I had to think". This is really tragic.
However, many (but I'd guess <<50%) students
appreciate being stretched even though finding the
process VERY frustrating.
One approach is to avoid "a 2x4 across the head"
in week two. Keep the material challenging, but allow
revisions & resubmissions on tests and lab reports.
VERY time-consuming, but it seems to work more often
than it fails. Start with built-in extra credit on the
tests and slowly reduce the amount available. Clearly,
the better solution would be to have students
experience the joy of overcoming frustration before we
see them in physics, but I don't have a clue where to
start that one. John Barrere Apex HS Apex, NC