Re: CAUSATION IN PHYSICS

I have tried to follow this discussion and agree with JD that there is no
way to separate the F and the ma in order to measure causation. The
perceived need to have a "causation" reminds me of the "need" in
meteorology to state that horizontal convergence causes vertical motion.

Futhermore, I think we need to teach students to interpret equations
appropriately. Sometimes order is important, as in definitions. We write
that v = dx/dt as a definition of v but dx=vdt is not a definition of dx.
Other times, order is not important. We write F=ma and a=F/m and say both
are equivalent. We need to emphasize that an empirical relationship just
identifies the relationship - it does not identify cause/effect.

However, even with what I say above, I still treat Newton's 2nd law as JMC
does and I will continue to do so because it makes it easier for students
to know what forces are included in Fnet and which object's acceleration
and mass should be used. For example, at 08:55 AM 10/14/00 -0500, John