Re: Concerned about grades (longish)

The desire for a meaningful class ranking for admission purposes and Lisa's
desire to _really_ know how she's done and where she ranks speaks to the
grading system that my High School used (too many years ago). We were
graded on a 0-100 point system in each class and then those classes were
averaged, both cumulative and per grading period, and everyone was ranked
within their class-year. The averages were carried to 3 sig figs. With
this system it was easy to rank the students and after 4 years there were
really no surprises about who ranked where. While such a system does suffer
from the tendency to be TOO concerned about grades and of course CAN be
manipulated to get whatever average in a course one wants, it definitely
does have the advantage of making it very clear as to where one stands
within a given class or within the whole school. I've since been concerned
that we really have no way with the A-F system of distinguishing the
outstanding students (we have no A+). The gradations B-, B+, A- help some,
but the range for an A in most classes encompasses both the hard working but
normal intelligence student with the truly brilliant. I know the
Politically Correct attitude from the past 25 years is NOT to differentiate
these students (or any for that matter), but that is not realistic or, as
Michael points out, useful to Colleges and Universities.

Rick Tarara

Richard W. Tarara
Associate Professor of Physics
Department of Chemistry & Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556
219-284-4664
rtarara@saintmarys.edu

FREE Physics Instructional Software
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara

Win9.x, WinNT/2000, Win3.x, Dos, Mac, and PowerMac
New: Student versions of the Animated Chalkboard
Windows and Mac CD-ROMs now available.