Re: The Olympics

John Barrer wrote:

Doug - I see your point, BUT if that's so, then "how
come" an egg drop project that is top-heavy will
rapidly tumble on its way to the floor. I have seen
many toothpick projects with the egg perched on top of
an elaborate energy-absorbing structure quickly rotate
in free fall so that the egg lands first! John Barrere

I don't know what experiment you are refering to, but in my experience
being top-heavy does not cause a falling object to rotate. As a quick
test before risking putting my foot in it yet again... I went to me tool
box and took a variety of top heavy objects such as hammers and dropped
them from a few different angles of inclination, and in all cases they
hit the floor at the same angle of inclination as I had dropped them
from. (reading that last sentence I'm a bit worried since there is a
grammar analysis going on in another thread, but I'm too tired to go
back and rework it right now, I'll just take any flames that come ;-)).

I think the free-body question is a good basic one, its what I always
tell my students to do so why not myself or a colleague? Having thought
about it a bit now I can see all kinds of dynamic ways of achieving zero
angular momentum rotations, but I cannot see any way of constructing a
free body diagram demonstrating that a static shape begin rotating due
to gravity alone.

Doug Craigen
http://www.dctech.com/physics/about_dc.html