Re: The Olympics

I agree with your girlfriend that none of the twisting, etc., discussion
explains what happens in diving and gymnastics. I believe that the
crucial point is off-diagonal moments of inertia, so that the asymmetry
of the position taken to start the twisting movement is crucial.

Angular momentum is conserved, but angular velocity is not. If L is
the angular momentum and w is the angular velocity, the full
expression for L is

L/i\ = sum I/i j\ w/j\

The moment of inertial tensor I can have off diagonal terms, so that
the angular velocity is not parallel to the angular momentum. Hence if
you change I , for instance by moving your arms and legs around or by
bending at the waist, you can change the direction of angular velocity
without changing the direction of angular momentum. Hence you can
convert a tumbling rotation to a twisting one without applying a torque.

I forget where I first read this explanation, and I don't know how to
implement it in detail since the actual motion is complicated. However,
I am sure that this is the qualitative physics involved. Nothing else
fits the descriptions of the athletes themselves.

Zach Wolff wrote:

There seems to be general agreement from list members
that divers and gymnasts either leave the ground or
board with some angular momentum or perform
complicated gyrations, moving one half the body then
the other, to execute a mid-air twist. My girlfriend,
a gymnast, argues that this is not so. She claims
that it is important to leave the ground with no
rotation whatsoever and that move required to twist is
simply to draw both fists to the one shoulder and turn
the head toward that same shoulder, causing a rotation
in that direction. I am unable to understand how this
could possibly cause the rotation in the intended
direction. It is possible that her intuitions are
incorrect. Only stroboscopic pictures would reveal
the truth. However, her argument is strengthened by
two factors: one, she claims that leaving the ground
with any rotation leads to a point deduction and
judges are watching very carefully, two, she claims
that it is possible to decide which way to twist AFTER
leaving the ground. She makes the same claims for
diving where she has some experience, but not at a
competitive level. Can anyone make sense of this
data?

Zach