Re: curriculum questions

Apologies for the cross posting to both Chemed-L(1) and Phys-L(2).

In her 9/8/00 Chemed-L post "curriculum questions" Andrea Prybylski writes:

"The Science Department at The Westminster Schools, an independent,
college preparatory school that attracts very capable and motivated
students, is reviewing our curriculum in grades pre-first through
twelve. Currently in grades 9 through 12 we teach 'Physics First'
followed by chemistry and then biology with an option for
environmental science senior year. Please take a few moments to read
and respond to the questions below. . . . . . . .

3. Which is more important and why: content or process/inquiry skills.

4. How important/helpful is it for students to have taken AP science courses?

. . . . . . . . . . . ."

Regarding question #3, in my opinion, if critical thinking is
regarded as part of "process/inquiry skills" then these are far more
important than content as preparation for college and life and for
the development of science literacy.(3) And the early grades(4,5)
are probably the most important in developing critical thinking.

In ref. 4, Sanjoy Mahajan and I ask:

"Should teachers concentrate on critical thinking, estimation,
measurement, and graphing rather than college-clone algorithmic
physics in K-12? Thus far physics-education research offers little
substantive guidance. Mathematics education research addressed the
mathematics analogue of this question in the 1930's.(6,7)

Students in Manchester, New Hampshire were not subjected to
arithmetic algorithms until grade 6. In earlier grades they read,
invented, and discussed stories and problems; estimated lengths,
heights, and areas; and enjoyed finding and interpreting numbers
relevant to their lives. In grade 6, with 4 months of formal
training, they caught up to the regular students in algorithmic
ability, and were far ahead in general numeracy and in the verbal,
semantic, and problem-solving skills they had practiced for the five
years before."

In his response to Andrea, Michael Edmiston in his Chemed-L post of