Re: Cat's eyes

At 02:06 PM 9/3/00 -0400, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:
If I understand you correctly, John, you are saying that my
eyes reflected the kitchen light toward cat's eyes and then
the light was reflected back to me.

Please read what I wrote. I said "face" not "eyes". I also mentioned
objects projectively near your face (as seen from the cat's
viewpoint). Also note the light is diffusely scattered by your face, not
specularly "reflected".

I am not convinced that this is a correct explanation. The orientation of
my head would be critical, but it was not. Cat was also not in a frozen
position.

I don't see why orientation should be critical to a diffuse scattering
situation.

The orientation of the retroreflector should be immaterial over a wide
range. That's the defining property that distinguishes a cat's-eye
retroreflector from a simple mirror.

While quickly browsing Feynman's Chapter 35 I could not
find anything about this effect. Where does he discuss the
retroreflection of the eye? That word is not in the index.

My apologies, the information is in chapter 36 not 35. See the small
middle paragraph on page 36-4 and contrast it with the middle paragraph on
page 36-9. The reflector part is not explicitly mentioned, but if you
think about it you'll realize that by putting a mirror right behind the
active layer you can make the light pass twice through the active
layer. Most vertebrates that are active at night have such mirrors.

I am familiar with the retroreflection in a corner cube. If cat's
eyes were corner cubes then they would always reflect light
back to a source regardless of cat's motion.

Yes. That is consistent with the observation (reported above) that the cat
was not in a frozen position.

Why do cat's eyes act as retroreflectors? Are there any
corner cubes inside of them?

Please read what I wrote. I said that the cat implemented the
retroreflector as a lens with a mirror in the focal plane, and I contrasted
this with the corner-cube implementation just to be extra-explicit. I also
suggested that you diagram a lens with a mirror in the focal plane and
trace a few rays. If you had done that you would have known that this
makes a fine retroreflector, with performance comparable to the other
implementation.