Re: Moon IllusionRE: The color of snow

OK, so what is this famous moon illusion?

It is the illusion that the Moon appears larger when it is on
or near the horizon than it does when it is high in the sky.
I just saw this illusion tonight in the setting crescent Moon
seen from just south of the border (with Washington). We were
treated to a beautiful double rainbow display that lasted for
the better part of an hour. The horizon was clear up to about
ten degrees altitude, and a light rain was falling fifteen
miles south of Bellingham. We could see very clearly the
relatively darker sky between the bows, and I could barely
glimpse the supernumeraries within the primary bow, only
because I knew they were there. I made sure my four-year old
granddaughter saw the principal feaures, and I'm eager for
her to grow up so I can tell her *why* they are the way she
sees them.

Yes, I played hooky on my last day before retirement, but I
will be back in my office bright and early tomorrow morning,
as a Professor Emeritus, but with a much smaller pay packet.

Leigh