Re: A question about mirrors

In terms of using beta decay for defining handedness, if we also need to
define matter/antimatter (or + and - charge, etc.) don't we postulate this
is possible in the context of the three assumptions of cosmology
(homogeneity, isotropy, and universality)? Although we wonder where all the
antimatter is, cosmologists seem to think that other scientists in other
parts of the universe would see the same physics as we do... a strong
prevalence of matter and little antimatter. So the hydrogen we see as
prevalent in the universe is the same hydrogen all observers see as
prevalent in the universe. The nucleus of that atom is "positive" and
represents a "proton" (as opposed to negative and an antiproton)... and in a
like manner the electron is defined... and we can turn to "prevalent helium"
to define the neutron. The standard neutron (when free) will beta decay...
and so on, and so on.

Of course this all fails if we are communicating with an intelligent being
who somehow lives in a very different physical universe than we live in...
but that is not our assumption.

I am not sure how astronomy is different from beta decay in terms of
defining handedness? In both cases we are agreeing on a specific object,
and a specific vantage point. In the case of beta decay, the vantage point
is defined by the asymmetry in the angular distribution of the beta
emissions... then we can tie that orientation to the spin of the nucleus for
the handedness discussion. Likewise, spinning or revolving astronomical
objects have specific angular momentums. If that is true, then don't we
just have to agree upon a common vantage point from which both observers
view these?

Also, since the "intelligent being" discussion is hypothetical, it's not
clear to me how this discussion is taking place. If we are having the
discussion face to face, we can point to things. If we are not face to
face, how far apart are we? Are we communicating by E&M waves? If so,
doesn't our path of communication define a "line," and whether I am
transmitting or he/she/it is transmitting define directions along that line?
And can't we reference viewpoints to that line? (Note: I put line in
quotations to acknowledge some would not necessarily consider it to fall in
the simple realm of a "straight line." But I don't think that matters for
the point I am trying to make.)

Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817