Re: Physics first

I replied several times to this idea when it was discussed earlier this year
(about 3/9/00).

I think physics first could be devastating. Herbert Gottlieb raised some
good points. Others have also discussed the need for higher-level physics
for students heading into college science programs. However, below I
describe a couple major points to consider. These points are not so much
philosophy as they are simple predictions of what would probably happen,
especially in Ohio.

(1) If physics is first (i.e. ninth grade) how many college students will
endure a full physics major, plus all the education licensure hurdles, if
they end up teaching primarily ninth grade physics? This is not a put-down
of ninth grade teachers; teaching ninth grade science can be very rewarding
and is a crucial vocation. But... do these positions need to be held by
people who completed a full-blown baccalaureate degree in physics complete
with quantum mechanics, etc.? It is already difficult to get good physics
students to consider high-school teaching as a career. What luck will we
have recruiting HS physics teachers if they primarily deal with freshmen in
what amounts mostly to a physical science course?

(2) In fact, in Ohio, the teaching licenses for middle school (4-9) and high
school (7-12) overlap. If physics moves to the ninth grade we actually
don't need any physics teachers in Ohio whatsoever. All ninth grade physics
could be taught by middle-school teachers who finished a broad-based MC
science license containing 10 hours of physics (or less at some colleges).
"Physics first" could conceivably eliminate all physics teachers in Ohio.
Ponder that!

I believe this is common, that the middle-school license and high-school
license overlap. As we sit here in our "ivory towers" and think about such
things as physics first, we have to realize that we are not in charge.
State boards of education are in charge. If we succeed in getting physics
primarily taught at the ninth-grade level, we would probably eliminate the
need for real physicists (BA/BS in physics) at the high-school level. There
is much less shortage of biology teachers (partly for reasons Herb
mentioned). I predict we will see ninth-grade physics mostly taught by
teachers whose primary training is biology.
Specifically, this is what Ohio requires and says:
(a) A teacher can be licensed to teach grades 4 through 9 by obtaining a
Middle Childhood license.
(b) The Middle Childhood license requires a concentration in two subject
areas chosen from Math, Science, Language Arts, Social Studies. This allows
the Middle Childhood teacher to teach any subjects, grades 4 through 9
within the content areas of the two concentrations.
(c) For the science concentration the teacher must complete roughly 24
semester hours of science divided equally over the subject areas of life
science, earth science, physics, chemistry. ("About" because the colleges
can submit proposals slightly more or less than this. At Bluffton College
we require 30 hours.) This means the Middle Childhood science teacher will
take roughly 6 to 10 hours of physics.
(d) The Middle Childhood Science teacher can teach ANY core science course
in grades 4 through 9.

Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817