Re: Physics first

You need to first define what is the goal for your physics students?
a. A broad spectrum, shallow knowledge of the physical world.
b. The ability to solve problem by bringing in a wide range of data and
approaches.
c. Preparation for college.
d. Preparation for biology or chemistry.
e. A rigourous, in depth, knowledge of physics.
f. A course that teaches them to think. (Thanks Herb)
g. etc., etc., etc.

Our school has placed Physics second, after Biology. We've tried this
approach for 24 years.
We use Conceptual Physics for the general population and AP (juniors and
seniors) for the Science/Math College bound students.

Our rationale is (1) since biology is more of a qualitative course
Physics makes a good transition to the heavily math oriented Chemistry.
We augment Conceptual with more mathematics than is in the book and
stress structured problem solving. (2) If you collect enough data you
find that the greatest drop off in science enrollments is between the
Junior and Senior year. By placing Physics 1st or 2nd you sort of
guarantee that your students will have received a broader view of the
physical world than if they had just taken Chem and then dropped science
in the senior year.

So bottom line is...what do you want for your students who take physics?
There is no one right answer. It totally depends upon your school
population, the philosophy of your
school/principal/district/superintendant/you.

I agree with Herb that if you go Physics first you will have trouble
finding qualified teachers which might reduce the effectiveness of
giving all student a broad exposure to the physical world. However, our
school in a lower-middle income area with a primarily minority
population. We have 4400 students and 16 sections of physics/AP physics
with 5 well qualified teachers. However we are in the Silicon Valley.

A final caveat. It is demonstratable that a student's first experiences
in High School set the tone for the remain years. If you have a good
Physics program with good Physics teachers then you will see an increase
in enrollment in Bio/Chem and Advanced Sciences. If you have a program
with unqualified teachers you will turn off students to Science. I think
that this is a major consideration in deciding about Physics First.

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep
And I have no more papers in a heap
And in the morning I can sleep
And stroll in those woods so dark and deep.
r. frosted