steering stability: forward and reverse

I'm looking for references regarding stability w.r.t. steering while
driving forwards or backwards. Specifically, other things being
equal, is it more likely that a driver will lose control while trying
to steer when driving backwards, and is there a speed (or
dimensionless quantity involving speed and other design parameters
[wheel base, etc]) at which there is some critical stability point?

I suppose if there is such a backward/forward asymmetry, then whether
the vehicle is front-wheel or rear-wheel drive may also matter.

The question has been posed to me, but I have found it sufficiently
complex to want to consult literature. My single prejudice is that of
the video I'm seen of stunt drivers doing 180 degree spins at high
speed, it seems like I remember more (most?) of these performed while
initially moving in reverse, implying that the reverse direction is
less stable; OTOH, this effect may be more illusion than anything,
because to move in reverse and then spin generally results in net
motion in the same direction, while moving forward and then spinning
causes the car to ultimately stop and reverse direction.

Stefan Jeglinski