Air conditioner noise

My neighbor had a central air conditioner installed. The main air
conditioner is right outside our porch. The loud noise from the machine
prevents me from having conversations with my friends. I was wondering if
there are ways to either get rid of the noise completely or decrease the
level of the noise. Some of my thoughts include sound proofing the unit, but
then it might not get enough air space. I had also thought of the
possibility of a phaser, which would cancel out the sound waves from the
machine.

I would love to hear your thoughts and opinions. Has anyone had a similar
problem?

Thanks
Daniel
mvlocals@aol.com