Re: dissectible capacitor

At 14:16 6/1/00 -0700, Leigh wrote:
I have now performed experiments with parallel plates. ...
I will suggest that the cookie tin experiment I described not be
attempted by anyone. Today I managed to generate a potentially
lethal charge using only a hand cranked Wimshurst machine. Other
tricks were necessary, but these are best left undisclosed. I have
discussed the ethics of this with three colleagues and they concur.

Leigh

Leigh's cautionary note reminds me of a previous one in this thread
wherein it was mentioned that student-accessible high voltage power
supplies should have a strictly limited current capability.

It is as well to mention that interposing plastic, wax, water or
glass dielectrics in charged capacitors provides the same potential
for disaster (sorry) as the U.Leyden students noticed some centuries
since, no matter how low the input current.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK