Teaching for tests, was PHYS-L Digest

Hugh Haskell wrote (at the end):

.... the teachers are encouraged to "teach to the standardized
tests," thus ensuring high scores because the students have
been prepped well.

That kind of teaching has a bad reputation; many think it is
sort of cheating. But it does not have to be bad. Here is my
little story.

Other boys knew how to swim but did not. So I pretended.
Jumping on one leg I was splashing energetically with another
while my hands were engaged in the expected kind of motion.
After a week or so I was really swimming.

Learning to take a test is better than not learning at all. Make
sure they learn what they must know and be glad they are
motivated. What is wrong with this?
Ludwik Kowalski