Re: TIR in periscopes

I want to add my kudos and thanks to Herb's comments below. I posted the
question this morning, and by third hour had a substantially expanded
explanation for the curious.

Digby

Herbert H Gottlieb wrote:

Michael's response to the question about the use of prisms instead of
mirrors in a periscope is one of the best responses that I have ever
read. It gives a thorough coverage of the subject using simple language,
clear writing and good grammar. He uses numbered paragraphs, each
starting with a sentence that captures interest followed by sentences
that develop the theme with simple explanations and clear reasoning. It
is unusual to find such a beautifully written e-mail these days when
everyone is in such a hurry to get on with more pressing issues that come
up each day.
Wouldn't it be nice if a whole physics textbook could be written with the
same approach?

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where clear thorough explanations are appreciated)