Re: Entropy

I've been interested in the SETI project for a while and actually
'ran' some of the data analysis on my desktop computer.

Does anybody have any clue as to how the program identifies
'potential hits' as distinct from the 'random noise'?

We gotta be talking about Shannon entropy rather than 'micro-states'
or else all signals would have equal probability and the whole SETI
notion would be bogus. (perhaps it IS bogus?)

The Serendip receiver at Arecibo looks for a signal on a carrier. The
carrier will make its presence known by being an underlying gaussian
signal as a function of time as the sky scans across the receiver.
There is no way to separate nonrandom bits from random bits without
such a carrier signal being present. This is what seti@home is doing
in analyzing data from Serendip.

Leigh