(from the place we will depart to take nearly 400 students or so from about
five high schools to do a physics of skiing lab on the ski slopes of
Virginia, as though we need to travel to more snow!)

In a message dated 02/01/2000 10:17:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
LISTSERV@lists.nau.edu writes:

<< Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 14:32:14 -0500
From: Herbert H Gottlieb <herbgottlieb@JUNO.COM>
Subject: Re: Sig Figures

On Tue, 01 Feb 2000 10:51:26 -0500 Richard Bowman
<rbowman@BRIDGEWATER.EDU> writes:
Here are a few comments on sig fig's.

...... Thus my jumping up onto my desk while asking students how far
I am from the center of
the Earth makes no difference in the answer, if the distance to the
center of
the Earth is given as 6378 km.
6378 km
+ 0.001 km
6378 km

This is an interesting demo .... but I'm wondering how many physics
teachers are really able
to jump vertically a distance of one meter to the top of their desk.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where our aging teaching staff would be happy to jump up only half
of a meter to their desk) >>