Re: SPRINGS

and plot it to get a lovely straight line. The "nonlinear"
regimes would be for very small forces (so not all the coils
are "open") and for very large forces (which might deform
the spring). We caution them away from the former and threaten
them with severe punishment for the latter. I suppose there
is some tiny nonlinearity even for intermediate forces, but
we've never tried to make such precise measurements.

For (I think) all elastic materials there is a so called "linear limit" and
then an "elastic limit" in the applied force vs deflection curve. The
non-linearity between these two points is usually not "tiny" -- although
for some materials the two points are close together.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen