Re: PHYS-L Attachments (was: I agree. LKS)

Rick and Jim:

While I understand your frustration with the technical aspects of posting
HTML and v-card mail to PHYS-L I have requested that users follow a set
of what I feel are reasonable guideline for PHYS-L postings which turns
these things off. See http://purcell.phy.nau.edu/PHYS-L and
http://purcell.phy.nau.edu/danmac/aug99listsmanu/

Dan, et al, we _understand_ the rules -- this is not at issue. But we feel
that the rules need updating. While they were marginally OK in years
past, currently we need to prepare to take the next step -- a step which is
essentially inevitable. Yes, some might experience some pain, but sooner
or later that experience will come. And for some it is now -- some Outlook
people just can't figure out how to defeat styled messages and publishers
of upcoming readers show little tolerance for resistance to progress, so
like it or not we will see HTML on the list.

And why not? The arguments against them are mostly spurious. The
difficulties are usually easily defeated. The extra bandwidth is nowhere
near as great as the off list verbiage. Readers are free for PCs & Macs
and cheap for mainframes.

But as I said in a previous post, Vcards are silly and just a pesky bother
and attachments remain too dangerous for now, so we agree about them.

Dan, if not now, then under what conditions should HTML be accepted in the
rules. Yes, Luddites will say "never", but they are Luddites.

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen