Re: Constraint and inertia

I'm not quite sure what is meant by the "coefficient of inertia," but I will
assume that it is the coefficient for the difference between gravitational
mass and inertial mass. Tipler, Physics for Scientists and Engineers, Third
Edition, states, "Their equivalence is now established to about 1 part in
10^12." Tipler also states that Newton, "was able to establish the
equivalence between gravitational and inertial mass to an accuracy of about 1
part in 1000."

What is the experiment that produced the 1 part in 10^12 equivalence?

Another question. I remember that the mass of the photon had a lower limit
of about 10^-50 gram. Has this changed?

Bob Carlson

In a message dated 11/11/99 1:23:29 PM Central Standard Time, palmer@SFU.CA
writes:

I can't resist commenting. Does the below mean that Leigh and the other
>anonymous author believe that the concept of "coefficient of inertia" and
>"'mass'" in terms of its "gravitational effect" are indeed different
>concepts.

Yes. They are different concepts.

Why would that be commentworthy?

Leigh