Re: Light???

Cool idea! I should have been more skeptical of my own thoughts
when they limit what electrons must do too rigidly. I have
introduced the strange ideas of the uncertainty principle to my
chemistry class this week. Yesterday on my test the last problem
gave students a chance to provide some less structured feedback. I
usually make the last question something like "What is the most
interesting thing that you have learned in the past two weeks?" I
was having some fun with the last problem yesterday and said, "Give
me some advice. Please write answer in the space provided." Then
providing a box about 1cm x 1cm. One student wrote the following
outside of the box. I must advise you that some of the electrons of
my ink might be in the box.

Leigh Palmer wrote:

Here are some words that "explain" this phenomenon for me:

I like the way you put the previous line. It expresses the
uncertainty of our words very well.

Considering light as being absorbed and reemitted by electrons
in a transparent medium entails the processes being virtual;
the absorption doesn't have to be resonant absorption, and the
time during which the electron is excited to a forbidden state
is within the bounds of what is allowed by the uncertainty
principle. That is, the amount by which the light is nonresonant
times the duration of the absorption-reemission process is less
than or of the order of Planck's constant.

Leigh