Re: Electronic balances was A weighty subject

I have lost Edminston's original post, but I am thinking eg, of an
ordinary double pan balance. This directly compares two weights and must
be accompanied by a set of labeled "standard weights" in order to yield
"absolute" results. So both the balance and the set of labeled standards
are carried to the moon - a built-in calibration.

Whatever pairs of objects balanced on the earth will also balance on the
moon. You may want to change the labels on the "standard weights" when
you get to the moon; how to do this would involve comparing the weights
of the same object on the earth and on the moon - but this is an entirely
different kind of measurement - how would you do it? You would have to
resort to eg, a spring scale along with appropriate assumptions about its
behavior on earth/moon.

Michael is being coy. His electronic balance really is a balance,
and it should be called an electromechanical balance. (As Michael
knows, my wife is a chemist who participates in another list. She
lets me in on such chemists' secrets.)

Leigh