Re: free-body diagrams

At 11:13 AM 10/10/99 -0500, Joel Rauber wrote:
I want to find out how others handle the following minor point.

I've now taken to at least mentioning that
there is another force, the force of gravity of m_2 pulling up on m_1.

Of course, it is utterly negligible; and I comment on that. It just bothers
me that I pound my fists on the table saying that you *must* identify all
forces in order for the free-body procedure to work and then one manifestly
leaves out some forces that we know are present (even if negigible).

Here's how I would handle it.

1) Physics is a natural science, not an exact science. If students insist
on exactitude, they should drop physics and stick to arithmetic.

2) The skill of knowing what's negligible -- and what's not -- is one of
the most important skills a student should learn in physics class.

3) So, just rephrase the instructions: "We must identify all the
significant forces in order for the free-body procedure to work...." No
fist-pounding is required.

OK?

copyright (C) 1999 John S. Denker jsd@monmouth.com