Re: Dull Razors

Sorry to bring this up again, but I was a little surprised no one
mentioned the Gillette Mach 3 razor. I have to admit that I did not
try it for a while. The handle costs 6 or 7 dollars, and the blades
are over a dollar apiece. But I eventually had to try it. What's the
matter? Are the rest of you physicists even cheaper than I am? Come
on, you can try it for $10. (I do not own Gillette stock.)

The razor is amazing. The experience is about the same improvement
over a twin-blade design, as what the twin blade was over the single
blade design. If you can remember that transition, then you know I am
talking about a significant improvement here... a "quantum leap."

Of course I had to take it apart. There is a very thin strip of
incredibly sharp blade that is spot welded in many places to an angular
piece of stainless steel. Three of these welded units are held in a
plastic case that not only aligns and spaces them, but also provides a
springiness and a swivel. I am amazed this is available as inexpensive
as it is. (Don't let Gillette see this.)

Aside from the blade price being high, I also currently have the
suspicion that the blades don't last as long. I think what happens is
that the initial experience with a new blade is fantastic, but after a
week or two it sort of falls back to being a similar feel to the
twin-blade experience. Of course "that ain't bad."

Perhaps it takes some getting used to. I started out using many quick
repetitive strokes over a particular area like I did with my old razor.
Gillette advertises that this new design "requires fewer strokes and
causes less irritation." I am now trying to see if I can cover my
whole face with long strokes and only go over each spot once. That
actually seems to work quite well. This speeds up shaving time, and
also might make the blades last longer. After... many years... a new
shaving technique takes some getting used to, but I can handle it.
BTW, the more open blade design also makes it rinse out a lot easier.

This has been an interim report... the experiment is still in progress.

Bluffton College
280 West College Avenue
Bluffton, OH 45817