Re: Scientific method was physical pendulums/ an opportunity

I find the silly
"scientific method" that is taught in the schools to be of
little value. Why does one need a hypothesis? The student
often expects that Nature's opinion is of secondary
importance because she doesn't assign the grade.

Leigh

When you are teaching something new, don't you start with the simplest building
block, than add on? Children need concrete ideas to grasp, otherwise they learn
nothing. They have not developed good abstract reasoning skills. I see nothing
wrong with using this as an introductory step in teaching to children. As they
grow, these ideas can be refined, then dissolved totally. To let these kids
think about doing science experiments without some framework to guide their
thinking, to build their observational skills, analyze date, you're wasting
their time.

I'm always asking my 5 year old what he thinks will happen if we... Then we try
it. Then we analyze the result, then I ask him if it agreed with what he
originally thought. Nice logical thought precesses if you ask me.

Is that the way it has to be done. No, but for kids learning it critically
examine the world, it's a nice framework upon which to build. How many of the
students in your college course are clear thinkers? Might they be lacking some
framework too?

Sam
--
Sam Sampere