Re: Scientific method was physical pendulums/ an opportunity

At 4:55 AM -0700 9/24/99, Jack Uretsky wrote:

Yeh! Even more blatant, I think, is that gravity problems are independent
of mass. But getting the students to do algebra, and watch the mass
cancel out
(or leaving only mass ratios) is an impossibility. It makes me wonder about
the big push, currently, to introduce algebra in the lower grades. Yes, you
can teach them to mouth the words (or write down symbols), but doesn't it
take
maturity to understand the meaning (or use the symbols to solve problems)?

Of course it does take maturity to do something differently than it
was done in high school. Would I not be cheating (and patronizeing)
my university students if I permitted them to continue to use the
methods they learned as high school students? They tell me they've
matured.

Leigh